Monday, July 11, 2011

Getting older

I know I haven’t posted anything in awhile. I have a good excuse. I am old. I now understand why contractors hire 19 year old kids to do construction. I understand what needs to be done and I can do the work. It just seems to take longer to do it and a lot longer to recover. (Sorry, there was a double entendre in there.)

So I removed the ceiling and began the install of the whole house fan. The outside temps are in the 90’s so the attic temperature is in the low to mid 130’s. I told Chris we could build a sauna without the rocks if we pipe in attic air. The Whole house fan was an interesting install. Getting the boards cut just right to center the fan over the joist was tough. The temps made it difficult to measure as the sweat was getting in my eyes. I had gotten the fan housing in early so I could figure out where to place it. The metal was getting to hot to handle. This build needs to end so I can turn the fan on just to cool the attic.

I removed the copper waste lines and plan to replace them with PVC. The PVC is just a bit bigger and placing it has become a challenge.


I have a couple of photos of the progress. (Or lack thereof)

The whole house fan from the hallway.
Our new bathroom vent fan.


I believe it was starting to cool off.
The placement of the Attic fan and the gutted bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment