Friday, April 8, 2011

Wednesday, April 6th

We just got back from an incredible vacation.  Christine is a logistics, and planning genius so she set us up with an incredible vacation for her R&R.  She was able to finagle a great room at an unbelievable deal with Royal Caribbean cruise lines.  We went to Rome, hung out for three days and then took off on a 10 day cruise in the Med.  She took detailed notes and wrote about the trip in great detail.  I will direct you to her blog for the trip update.  Hopefully it will be up there soon.

Somehow at 35,000 feet I got a head cold.  The last two hours into Dulles airport were pure hell.  I have not felt that bad in a very long time.  I had a massive headache and I was actually hoping to throw up.  As it turns out I did alright but there was no rest for the wicked.  When we landed I was faced with a massive line for customs, then another huge line for our baggage, then an equally impressive line for another quite unnecessary security screening.  I am telling you the terrorists have won.  Looking at the three empty security lines gave me renewed faith in Homeland Security efficiency.  After stripping, being herded through the x-ray machines, getting redressed and herding two jet lagged and tired kids on to the next flight was interesting.   I had 5 minutes to make the 10 minute walk to our next flight.  Of course our connection was not in this terminal.  It was a train ride away.  We were the last folks to board our flight.  The kind folks at United held the door open a bit longer for us.
As promised a friend of ours from scouting, (Boy and Girl Scouts) picked us up from the airport.  When we made it inside I let the kids have a lovely dinner of old nuggets and chips while I snuck off to Kroger for some milk, creamer and cold medicine.  The 6 hour time difference showed up the next morning when we were all up around 5 and 6 in the morning. 

It will get better.   They have to sleep sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment