Monday, March 26, 2012

Work stuff

So in the continuing saga of a giant work remodel, we shut off power to the building on Saturday.  Not just a little power or sections of the building but all of it.  It was scheduled to be off for 10 hours.
I came in at 5 in the morning to power down my equipment so the power spikes as it came on wouldn’t ruin it.  Detroit Power and Light already puts out crappy power so the last thing I needed was spikes taking out my servers.  The switchboard folks had to stay there.

Nothing like a high rise with limited power (Elevator and emergency lights), no AC, and a phone system powered by back up batteries to entertain a person.  I received a call around 9 am saying power was back.  This seemed fishy so after a couple of other calls I discovered it was partial power.  Around 5 pm I received official notification that power was back on.  It took 45 minutes to properly shut everything down.  I spent 3 hours trying to coax my servers back to life.  I was not a happy camper. 

In the end all is well.  I just hope it doesn’t need to happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment